March 2023 Tech Upload
NEW Digital News
Helpful tips from the experts
What to do with old lithium-ion batteries
You may not even realize how many lithium-ion batteries you have sitting around in your home or at your business. Your cell phones and laptops are the obvious sources, but there are many different applications that use lithium-ion power. If you have a lot of these devices or even these batteries lying around doing nothing, it may cause you to wonder what to do with old lithium-ion batteries and lithium-ion-powered devices.
Learn more about what types of devices have lithium-ion batteries as well as if and how you can recycle them.
10 Tips to Keep Yourself Safe in 2023 from Cybersecurity Hacks
Patrick Riley, CEO, New Horizons of Wisconsin
As we move into 2023, cybersecurity threats are becoming increasingly sophisticated and prevalent. With more and more of our lives taking place online, it’s more important than ever to take steps to protect ourselves from cyberattacks. Here are the top cybersecurity tips for 2023 to help keep you and your personal information safe.
- Use Strong, Unique Passwords: The first step in protecting yourself online is to use strong, unique passwords for all of your accounts. This means using a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters, and avoiding using easily guessed information like your name or birthdate. Additionally, consider using a password manager to help you create and store complex passwords.
- Keep Software Up to Date: Software vulnerabilities are a common way for hackers to gain access to your devices. To protect yourself, make sure to keep all of your software, including your operating system and antivirus program, up to date with the latest security patches and updates.
- Use Two-Factor Authentication: Two-factor authentication adds an extra layer of security to your accounts by requiring a second form of verification, such as a fingerprint or a code sent to your phone, in addition to your password. This makes it much more difficult for hackers to gain access to your accounts.
- Be Wary of Phishing Scams: Phishing scams are a common way for hackers to trick you into giving away sensitive information. These scams often take the form of emails or text messages that appear to be from a legitimate source, but are actually designed to steal your personal information. Be sure to verify the authenticity of any message before providing any personal information.
- Use a VPN: A VPN, or virtual private network, encrypts your internet connection and protects your data when using public WiFi. This helps to protect your personal information and prevent hackers from gaining access to your devices.
- Educate Yourself: The more you know about common cyber threats, the better equipped you will be to spot them. Take time to educate yourself about the latest threats and learn how to spot them.
- Keep Backups: Keep backups of important files in case they are compromised. This will allow you to quickly restore your files and minimize the impact of a cyberattack.
- Use a Firewall: A firewall can help to protect your computer from unauthorized access. It monitors incoming and outgoing network traffic and blocks any traffic that does not meet the security rules you’ve set.
- Be Careful with Personal Information: Be mindful of the personal information you share online. Avoid sharing sensitive information like your social security number or credit card information unless absolutely necessary.
- Be Mindful of Security with IoT Devices: Internet of Things (IoT) devices, such as smart home devices, can be vulnerable to cyberattacks. Be sure to change the default login credentials on your IoT devices, and check for firmware updates regularly.
The best defense against cyber attacks is to be proactive and stay vigilant. By following these top cybersecurity tips for 2023, you can significantly reduce your risk of falling victim to a cyber attack and help protect your personal information.
Smart IS recently helped the health company Trilab to revamp their two websites. Trilab has a main health website and a separate one dedicated to COVID testing, and the Smart IS team was tasked with creating a more cohesive look between the two. The branding and design were coordinated to reflect the connection between the two sites. Trilab also wanted the ability to maintain the sites themselves. The Smart IS team ensured this by using Elementor templates instead of WordPress Bakery features. This allows Trilab to update the content on the site through Elementor Editor instead of contacting the website developer. Smart IS International strives to deliver results with lasting value for its clients.
Big tech giants are laying off workers left and right. Google, Microsoft, and Meta have all had sweeping layoffs in the last year. Smart IS International, on the other hand, is actively hiring! Based right here in Oshkosh, Smart IS has a global presence with a Center of Excellence in Islamabad, Pakistan. Though it was founded in 1988, Smart IS continues to expand its reach, create new products, and offer dynamic services to its clients. Imminently, Smart IS is starting a cybersecurity practice. If you are interested, visit smart-is.com to learn about the company. You can also send in your resume to email@example.com.
Refer a candidate you LOVE! gener8tor Skills Project Management Training
gener8tor Skills is offering our no-cost Project Management curriculum beginning on Monday, March 27, 2023. Would you be able to share information with potential candidates who are part of your network?
Project Management is an in-demand skill across industries that is attractive to those seeking a career change. Participants will receive:
- Industry-leading training
- 1:1 virtual assistance with Résumés, Cover Letters, Interview Prep, LinkedIn & More
- Placement assistance and access to our Employer Network
How can you help?
- Encourage a client, friend or family member to apply
- Share via your social networks (PNG attached)
- Post a flyer (PDF attached)
This is a free, 6-week program offered through the support of Microsoft and the Bay Area Workforce Development Board. No prior experience or degree is required. Friday, March 19, 2023 is the deadline to apply.
Project Management Skills Training Program informational flyer.
Want to learn more about how gener8tor Skills programs help change lives in Northeast Wisconsin?
For more information or to apply, visit https://www.gener8tor.com/skills or I would be delighted to hop on a call to answer any of your questions.
Learn in-demand skills for free: Online training for job seekers, professionals & students
United Way Fox Cities has partnered with Microsoft, LinkedIn and NCW TECH Alliance to create the Community Skills Initiative. Community Skills Initiative (CSI) is a free program, built upon Skills for Jobs learning pathways, to help job seekers successfully navigate the paths to in-demand roles in a more digital economy. These role-based learning paths provide opportunities for people—at any stage in their career—to reskill and upskill for in-demand roles. Courses are available in English and Spanish.
The CSI Mission
- Promote digital skills and employability
- Offer learning pathways and industry-recognized credentials
- Create equitable access to skilling
Want to win cash for skilling?
Join the free UpSkill-A-Thon challenge! Only courses started and completed between February 1, 2023 – March 31, 2023 count towards the UpSkill-A-Thon. $10,000 in cash prizes are available in your community! Anyone living in Brown, Outagamie, Winnebago, and Calumet counties is welcome to register and compete in this UpSkill-A-Thon.
The UpSkill-A-Thon is a free month-long upskilling challenge with cash prizes. Take any course or pathway available from Community Skills Initiative and earn points with certificates of completion. The more you learn, the more points you earn! Top winners in each category earn cash prizes.
New Additions: Meet the new, New North Team Members
In the past 3 months, New North Inc. has hired two new employees to help serve the ever growing needs of our region. Please meet and welcome Jason Mathwig and Juan Corpus.
Meet Jason Mathwig, Industry Alliance Director
In the role, Mathwig will lead industry alliance outreach and engagement efforts through strategic partnerships with regional employers, as well as workforce development, educational and community-based organizations. He also will provide operational support for the NEW Digital Alliance and NEW Construction Alliance, including project management oversight for alliance-based activities.
Meet Juan Corpus, V.P of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Corpus will lead New North’s current DEI initiatives, assist Northeast Wisconsin organizations with diversity portions of their ESG plans and mentor local partners on their respective DEI journeys. He also will collaborate with the six statewide minority chambers of commerce to develop a Diversity Digital Hub, strengthening regional connections to each organization. Additionally, Corpus will work to bring resources into the region, establish microgrants to minority nonprofit organizations and direct messaging through social-media channels, among
Menasha-based Faith Technologies invests in TitletownTech
Green Bay-based venture capital fund TitletownTech has secured yet another investment as it seeks to raise $80 million.
Menasha-based Faith Technologies Inc., a company specializing in engineering, construction, manufacturing and clean energy, has invested an undisclosed amount in TitletownTech. Leadership from both organizations pointed to shared values as the reason for the investment.
“FTI is a leader in industries that align with our investment thesis, like engineering, manufacturing and clean energy, and we’re thrilled to be an extension of the organization’s continued innovation efforts,” said Jill Enos, managing director of TitletownTech. “This investment unlocks valuable expertise for both organizations and TitletownTech’s portfolio companies.”
TitletownTech has raised at least $48 million of an $80 million fundraising target, according to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. At least 20 investors have taken part in the funding round thus far.
Following its investment in TitletownTech, FTI will use its expertise in the energy sector to provide guidance to venture startups.
“At FTI, we’ve always had an entrepreneurial nature and have never been satisfied with the status quo,” said Mike Jansen, chief executive officer of FTI. “We have the utmost respect for innovative new companies who are working to build on the technology strengths in our region and are thrilled to be part of the TitletownTech team to encourage and guide these emerging organizations.”
Last month, Appleton-based The Boldt Group also announced an unspecified investment in TitletownTech. The Boldt Group invested in the firm as it is seeking innovative solutions to the ongoing labor shortage in the construction industry.